Wednesday, July 25, 2012

ramadan

Ramadan is here.  Actually, this is day 6 of 30.  Since converting 2 years ago, I have never properly fasted during ramadan.  I might have skipped lunch or just forgot it altogether.  This is the first ramadan that I have actually fasted from fajr to maghrib.  The first day was the worst.  It started with a headache and then i started to feel really sick towards the end.  I survived it and made it to sundown.  The days since then have not been too bad at all.

On sunday, I went to the masjid and prayed asr.  It was my first time to pray in the masjid that wasnt for jumah.  Oh, yeah, I have been going to jumah for the last month or so.  I do enjoy going to pray there.  The only time I have been in congregation before that was when I go to the prayer room at my work for dhuhur.

Also, I have been reading the quran during ramadan as well.

Despite this, I feel like I'm still missing out on something more.  Other muslims seem really excited about this time of year yet even with fasting and reading the quran, it doesnt feel as meaningful.  I think it's because I dont come from a family of muslims.  I dont get up and share my suhoor with anyone.  There's no iftar with my family.  I think for them, ramadan is more like christmas.  I dont really feel that right now.  It's more of a spiritual time for me.  The cultural holiday festive event part is missing.

As an update, I am now divorced.  I now have my own apartment.  I still own my condo though.  My ex wife and ex mother in law live there for now.  We are all on good terms.  My cat is still in the condo as well.

1 comment:

  1. The spiritual part of it is the most important. Once you get to know more Muslims the rest will follow. Just give it time. You're doing great. I'm glad fasting has gotten easier for you and I'm glad you gave it another try after having such a difficult first day. Reading the Quran and going to the mosque at different times of the day when you can is awesome! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete